Academically Most Able and Talented Students
Devonport High School for Girls is committed to providing an environment which encourages all students to maximise their potential and this includes those who are academically most able and those who are talented in sports, music, drama, dance and the creative arts.
We have over 300 Academically Most Able and Talented students across all year groups for whom we ensure there is a range of enrichment activities and events. We embed activities into all our schemes of learning to stretch and develop student’s individual abilities and talents.
As a community we ensure that we maintain good links with Oxford, Cambridge and other Russell Group universities to ensure that appropriate applications are supported and encouraged. Other opportunities such as inter and intra school competition and participation in relevant conferences and competitions are also organised.
Here is a small selection of the many activities on offer:
- Big Bang STEM competitions
- Art- Advance learning techniques
- Chinese and Korean club
- Various music clubs (woodwind & string club, choirs etc)
- Various GCSE subject support clubs (textiles, Chinese, ICT, Business studies etc)
- Young Enterprise club
- Ryman Enterprise
- GO-4-SET STEM competitions
- The cardboard boat STEM competitions
- BIG Bang regional and National finals exhibitions
- Erasmus and SEE club
- STEM club
- Mathematics Challenge (National Competition)
- Duke of Edinburgh (Bronze, Silver and Gold)
- Ten Tors (35 mile, 45 mile and 55 mile teams)
- Robotics club
- Visits and talks from Oxford University staff and graduates
- Bragg about Science workshop
- STEM club (Science Technology Engineering Maths)
- Numerous sporting activities with specialist coaching opportunities
- Frequent and diverse music and drama activities
- Photography club
Academically Most Able Students
SWAT stands for South West Academic Trust. It is an alliance of 11 selective secondary schools from across the region that includes Devonport High School for Girls. The schools share a determination to provide the best possible environment for most able students; supporting students to find their talent, nurture it and maximise its potential. SWAT Challenge has been set up to provide students with a range of opportunities to stretch them, both inside and outside the classroom. There are numerous events throughout the year which culminate in a SWAT Challenge Event and students act as ambassadors from each school. Weekly in-house challenges and subject specific SWAT competitions are set through the academic year.